Friday, November 05, 2004

Too Liberal or Too Lazy?

My question is: was the Democratic party too liberal in this past election, or did not enough liberal-minded people vote? Or are liberals not mindful enough of what conservatives fear to lose? Or are conservatives not mindful enough of what liberals fear not to gain?

I do not claim to understand completely conservative's resistance or fear of homosexuals. I do see that in middle America, people on hard times, living meagerly, all they have is a marriage and family. And when I say all they have I don't mean that in a denigrating way. I say it in a way that is envious. Afterall, who would you rather be, Ebenezer Scrooge or Bob Cratchit?

And I see myself and the gay community as lost in a pathless wood. Gay men as boys are sensitive, meek, and caring. As adolescents, they see a future of depravity, meaningless sexual encounters, and a dark community and future, one without permanent connection or any chance for posterity.

If anyone had any illusions about the hearts of gay people being deviant, you need not look farther than the barage of complaints of wanting normalized same sex relationships--cries for monagamy and the right to marry.

In our society it is more acceptable for two men to have sex in a public restroom than to hold hands in a park.

Wouldn't you be afraid to be gay too?

Gay people want what middle America wants: home, connection, love.

This life isn't a dress rehearsal. Before you go creating classes of citizens remember that we are all first human beings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home